Thursday, October 13, 2016

May, Part 2--Oregon


I have loved having kids in Oregon. It's always beautiful and fun to visit.  Now that McKay is graduating, Stan and I decided to take one more farewell tour before they left.

Cute little Nora and Brinlee showed us McKay's school for the last time.  Here we are, up on the roof, checking out the faux zoo.


I really hope this is a faux turtle.

I'm feeling the love too, Brin.

The rooftop provided convenient splash pools. 

Why waste water at home when you can cleanup at Dad's school?
Just so you know, the girls didn't cause all of the water on the deck. There were a couple of drops that fell out on their own.

Oregon is a Garden of Eden. The eventual drive home to brown Montana was quite painful.

The skies may be cloudy, the rain showers frequent, but it's still an incredibly vibrant, gorgeous place to visit.

I don't know how any dental student can sit in class with views like this. On a clearer day, you can see Mt. Hood.

Little Brin in a big school.

The school even thoughtfully provides racks to park the kids.

Look at that adorable face! Sorry, Stan, I'm not referring to you this time.

We were lucky enough to be in town the week the Kenison was blessed. McKay has a gazillion cousins, so it's no surprise one of them lives not too far from Portland. McKay's cousin Todd and family also came for the blessing. They've been really good to Ashley's family while they were there.



Look at that lucky McKay, surrounded by all those cute girls.


I always get a teensy bit nervous when Nora is left alone with Kenison. 
That gleeful face can only mean trouble ahead.

Fortunately,

someone is already working on escaping her tormentor loving sister.

We can always count on endless fashion shows when we visit the Pearsons.

We spent the few days we were there visiting all of the Portland highlights.

We started out at the Rose Gardens, counting the change in the wishing pond.

Grandpa is pretty excited to stop and smell the roses!!!

This was a great time of year to visit-roses are in their full glory.

Is that I bee I see?

These smell good enough to eat!

Way to color-coordinate with the flowers, Nora.

All the rose-sniffing is tiring.

Plenty of opportunity to burn calories here for later ice cream consumption.

The Rose Garden also has Japanese Gardens with these ginormous and colorful fish.


Nora wants

that one.

There were weird interesting fung shui areas.

Those matching expressions tell me we are not impressed.

When one of the girls accidentally disturbed the neatly combed gravel, we hurried away

and acted like we didn't know what happened.

See? I told you there would be ice cream.

I can't tell--do you think Nora likes it?

Brin prefers to eat hers movie star style.

Nora has this endearing habit of wearing her sunglasses upside down. If you "fix" it for her, she'll turn them around again.

Upside down Nora and Brinlee had great plans for the next day.

We are going on a harbor tour.

We boarded the "Portland Spirit" for a little cruise.

And we're off!

You don't get to see a frown on Brinlee's face very often.

Our harbor cruise included a nice lunch.

I had some tasty Oregon salmon.

Enjoying the sun (and the breeze).

We enjoyed the talented entertainment on board.

Fortunately we didn't get shipwrecked, and could move on to more fun.

Like this contraption we pedaled around the park.

Good thing we had these two to tell us where to go.

The middle and backseats provided the pedal power. It was quite a workout. 
I need one of these at home.

We all have our ways of cooling off.

Personally, I prefer the junk ice cream route.

Our next stop was Multnomah Falls

We did a little hiking.

I need one of these in my backyard.

The next day we headed to the coast.

A random local mermaid.

I also need one of these in my backyard. I might need to get a bigger backyard.


My kind of dog.

Our destination was Cannon Beach, a beach we visited as a family years ago.

It was a breezy day

but these two bathing beauties

didn't seem to mind.


McKay demonstrating the proper way to

anchor a child.


I was pretty much a freezing lump on the beach, but these guys decided to venture out.

Ensuring that Ashley will be washing sand off of Brin for the next several weeks.

I think the water was 33 degrees this day.

Nora decided she wasn't up for cold toes

and talked her daddy into carrying her.

As you can see, it was such a pleasant day we had to really fight the throngs of people.

Some of us were ok just to shiver on the dry part of the beach.

What an angel.

All too soon it was time for Stan and I to head home, so we had Salt and Straw for the 35,829th time.
I'll miss that almost as much as I miss these two.
Up next: Home Again.

5 comments:

  1. I love Oregon. I'm sad for you that you won't have a reason to go there anymore. Hey, there is a Salt and Straw in LA now. Maybe you should visit Southern California.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are the Pearson's headed back to Montana? Oregon is a beautiful place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Pearson's will be in Colorado for awhile, but will eventually live in Billings.

      Delete
  3. What a wonderful time you had together!

    ReplyDelete