Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Quilts of 2014

This has been a busy year for quilt-making. I have always loved sewing, but between the time I spend with Hailey and Makayla, our endless rental remodeling, and all the other things that happen in the course of life, it's been hard to work these projects in. However, having now started the tradition of making quilts for new grandbabies and 8 year-old grandchildren, I feel compelled to keep it up. I fell a little behind, mostly on Hailey's quilt, but I've managed to finish 5+ quilts this year.
 
The first quilt was for Hannah.

It's a simple pinwheel pattern, and fun to make. 

Since Ava's birthday was around the same time, I used leftover pinwheels for a doll quilt. That's the "+" in the 5+ quilts. I'm taking credit for even tiny quilts this year.

Next up was Nora's quilt, a simple star quilt

with minky backing.

Quilt number three is Koen's, a bright flannel nine patch,

also with minky backing. I like baby quilts that are roughly 40-45" square, big enough to take into toddlerhood. All three of these baby quilts are within that size.

The first 8 year old quilt I got done is Caden's. It's a pattern called "Blueberry Swirl".

It was fairly quick to make, with relatively large blocks, roughly 70" x 90".

It has flannel backing.

I really struggle with boy quilts. It's just harder for me to pick colors and patterns that are a bit more masculine. I've spent too many years focused on girly colors and patterns. I'm going to have to work at that. Maybe we can add a few more grandsons for me to practice on. I really like the way this quilt turned out.

This is the magazine the pattern came from, and I pretty much stuck to similar fabric choices found in the picture.

This same magazine features a quilt made by Erica Jackman. Someday I'm going to try this one, too. I love the interesting fabrics and colors, and I think they could be used for a boy or a girl.

Lastly, I finally finished Hailey's quilt, quilt #5. It's also roughly 70" x 90".

This was the first quilt I started and by far the most time-consuming quilt I made in 2014. Lots of corners to match, and easy to turn a piece the wrong way. I did plenty of unpicking, especially in the beginning as I was learning to piece the flowers correctly.

Hailey is in love with neon green, and I spent a very long time looking for the right shade of intense green backing. The backing on her quilt is celery green, a bright, but soft green, just shy of neon, that doesn't overpower the quilt. I hope.

I'm six months late, but hey, I got it done in 2014!

The pattern is called "Flowers for Nana Girl". The original is lap size, so I added a few rows.
It's been great to have such an eventful year in the family,
full of new babies and growing 8 year-olds
Next year promises to be a little slower. Since no one is turning 8 next year, and we have no known grandbabies in the pipeline, 2015 should be a good year to sew a few quilts ahead. 

7 comments:

  1. Spectacular, all of them. I just put away my Chris Jones Original Christmas Quilt today, my favorite Christmas table topper every year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow that is amazing! What are you going to do with yourself next year?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm astounded that you have the time to do quilts. You are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Incredible! One day I hope to have half your talent! I keep trying to pick my favorite one and I just can't! To this day, Krew will not sleep without his "soft blanket".

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are all so beautiful! Considering how big some of those were that is a lot to have accomplished in one year! You have some very lucky grandkids!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, I am impressed! I love your choices. Do you do the quilting yourself? I have to admit the quilting is the greatest bugaboo for me...that "quilt as desired" part of every quilt just nails me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I don't feel like I have time to do the quilting. Someday I'd like to have a long arm machine. I have a friend that does it for me.

      Delete