Friday, October 31, 2014

Change of Plans

We expected to be on our way to Colorado today for a baptism, but the Bassetts ended up having to postpone things for a week or two.
That's ok- it meant we got to have Halloween Dinner Grandma-Style with Hailey and Makayla.
They did all the work. Almost.

They made mummy hotdogs

which were actually ridiculously tasty.

My helpers also made banana ghosts and clementine pumpkins for a side dish.

I didn't try a ghost, but I understand they were frightfully good.

Of course, I made some witch's brew to drink,

and I rustled up some rice cooked in water with black food coloring maggots as another side dish.

Yummy!

Even Hailey had some fruit, something she rarely does.

We even got to go to the ward Trunk-or-Treat. Stan has a leaf hanging from a thread on his hat. Do you know what he is? Check your answer at the end of this post.

We had chili at church before Trunk-or-Treating. 


Guess who won first place for their chili? Yep, me--and I got a gift card to the local yogurt shop as my prize. How cool is that? Here's the recipe I used.
Stan is a leaf-blower. How's that for a last minute costume?

9 comments:

  1. Great costume, Stan. Love the maggots, Chris. Congrats on the winner chili--it looks a bit tastier than Bob's contribution to our ward party last night.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot! I do love white chili.

      Delete
    2. I'm willing to bet Bob's chili was much more memorable than mine, although I probably got more requests for the recipe.

      Delete
  2. You are the World Champion Grandma!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hahah i love dad's costume! I want some of this award winning chili! Can I hire you as my personal chef?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course I will be your personal chief. That means you'll be moving to Billings?

      Delete
    2. Sure! Or you could move to Dallas where it is warmer!

      Delete
  4. Love the simple, but creative Halloween meal. I could have given suggestions to Trash for a costume, maybe next year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great costume Dad! Ha, ha. I made the same Chili as a last minute dish to our Halloween party (quick and I just happen to have everything on hand). Great minds think a like :)

    ReplyDelete