Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Eggs and Birds

Last week I decided it was time to color the Easter eggs. I'd seen the method of baking your hard boiled eggs in several places, and decided to give it a try. You put them in cupcake pans to keep them from rolling around, and bake at 350 for 30 minutes.

Although I cooked two dozen eggs with little effort, I still had a few cracked eggs. Worse, almost all of the eggs had brown spots or speckles, all the way through the shell and onto the egg. I'm not sure I'd do it this way again.

Hailey and Makayla had a great time dying them. I sent them home with some of their personal favorites.

Unfortunately, they both had a spectacular meltdown when they came back a few days later and discovered Stan and I had consumed a few of the ones they left behind. Apparently, these masterpieces were to remain untouched for eternity.

As a distraction, today I found a new use for the cupcake pan. Butter it up really, really well.

Melt some marshmallows and butter together,

stir in some chow mein noodles,

slather your hands with more butter,

and form little "nests" in the pan. Let them set up for an hour or so in the freezer

then add some "eggs" using frosting for glue. Um, Hailey? What's that lump in your check?

Oh look! They're already hatching!

Aren't they cute? I'm sending all of them home with Amy. I haven't recovered from the recent disgust heaped upon me for eating the last eggs we created together. I'm pretty sure there would be no eggs leftover this time.

Next we decided to go for a walk and look for signs of birds. Hailey and Makayla took all of the outdoor pictures except the last two, using my cheap camera. See the nest in the tree to the right?

Makayla took this picture of a bird she saw flying in the clouds. Can't see it? Yeah, neither could I.

Hailey took this picture of Mr. Duck swimming in Alkali Creek with Mrs. Duck.

Hailey captured Makayla sneaking the "bird food" she brought, just in case we found a hungry bird. Makayla never met a marshmallow she could resist.

Makayla's snapshot of Hailey.

Makayla's shot of a nest, right side. Centering those pictures apparently is going to take some practice.


Hailey's shot of a bird in a tree.

Makayla's shot of a "broken tree". No bird, she just thought it was cool.

 My shot of Makayla, too tired to walk another step.

Fortunately, she recovered when I assured her I'm going to have to leave for the vultures if she can't walk.

 We came home and read that epic tale of a baby bird looking for his Mom.

 Next we cut out some egg shapes,

shaved some crayons onto them,

and ironed them.

Voile!! Beautiful decorated eggs Grandma and Grandpa are unlikely to eat.

We followed up with more artwork.

Hailey's tour de force "Grandma is for the Birds".

After a day with Hailey and Makayla, this chick is ready for bed!

3 comments:

  1. What fun Easter crafts with a fun grandma!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The baking egg thing didn't work too well here either. Our grandchildren were chowing down on the eggs so fast that Judy had to put the breaks on it. Love the photos of birds and bird nests. They missed a photo of the chick at your house. Maybe next time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love those chow mein noodle nests. I need the grandgirls to come back and make some for me. Maybe I could make some for them, but make sure they are "good enough" to give away. Very cute.

    ReplyDelete