Thursday, May 17, 2012

Good-bye

I should be packing, finishing last minute things, and generally pulling my life together. However, since I'm not going to see Hailey and Makayla for awhile, we have to fit everything important into our time together this week. On Tuesday, the girls wanted to check out the pet store, so we visited the one in the Heights. Hailey is sure she needs a hamster since, she said sadly, her fish died. I assured her she does not. She was in total disbelief when I refused to buy her one. I'm fairly confident Amy doesn't want a rodent in her apartment.


On the way home I made sure the girls stocked up on their calcium needs. I'm thoughtful that way.


Makayla informed me that she had "lost her happy smile" today. It's okay. I scratched around her tummy and we found it.


Wednesday was eye appointment day.


Amy and I prefer the "divide and conquer" method of appointments. Amy and Hailey went one way, Makayla and I went another.


 We may have divided, but I'm not sure we conquered. There was lots of having to hold still and nasty eye dilation, and looking at and identifying pictures on the screen. Not Makayla's idea of fun.  Definitely not Hailey's, either.

Makayla did enjoy playing "eye doctor", showing me how to use the delicate, expensive equipment. For some reason this game made the office staff nervous.


Makayla's preschool thought she had eye issues, and she does- like Hailey, she has lazy eye. Makayla's is a lot worse than Hailey's. Makayla goes around saying "I can't don't want to see nuffing", but I thought she was practicing toy-picking-up avoidance. Turns out she sees very little out of her left eye.

Makayla is sure she wants purple glasses. We tried these, but...


 Makayla is in love with these, in the picture below. Hmmm. Purple, but a teensy bit scary, Makayla.

Things took so long that I left with Hailey, who had a Zoo field trip with her class.  I guess I'll just have to wait until June to see which glasses Amy convinced Makayla to love.


On Wednesday night Makayla had her Head Start program. We ate lots of pizza with all of the other families, then the kids sang us some songs.


Makayla was pretty excited.

If Makayla looks like the youngest, smallest child in the group, she is. Most of her class will be going on to kindergarten in the fall. Even though Makayla has one more year of preschool, her September birthday means she will always be the youngest in her class.

Makayla receiving her graduation certificate from her beloved "Teacher Dana".


She was pretty proud of herself!

Today (Thursday) we headed out to the Lockwood school to play on their super duper playground. The conversation in the car was this:
Makayla: Santa has a mom.
Me: Yep. Everyone has a mom.
Hailey: Why are you talking about Santa, Makayla? You don't even like him.
Makayla: Him's scary. Him wears red clothes.
Hailey: God hates people with red eyes.
Makayla: Yep. Dem are bullies. And mean.
Me: Huh?
Hailey: Makayla, what color are my eyes?
Makayla: Blue, but I don't can't see berry good cause my eyes don't work.
Hailey: See? That's why God loves me. I don't have red eyes.
Me: Ummm......


Makayla immediately wanted to go down the giant twisty slide, but after climbing to the top, freaked out at how scary it was and needed Hailey to help shove her down.

Hailey liked the dozens of tricky bars at this playground. Since she's learned to cross them, she's a bit obsessed. 

 We played for a couple of hours until Grandma the girls were tired.


When I asked Makayla why her left eye was shut, she replied, "Member? It don't work!" Umm, Makayla, you have to open it to see out of it.
Well, there it is--our Good-bye Week. I've already committed to a Welcome Home Grandma trip to the new Heights swimming pool the week I get home. I'm sure jet lag won't be a problem, right?

1 comment:

  1. Oh those girlies are too cute! They are so very lucky to have you as their grandma!

    ReplyDelete