Wednesday, November 12, 2014

November

In November, my favorite decorators stopped by to replace Halloween 

with Thanksgiving. They can hardly wait for the start of each new month so they can do their thing.

We tried some Mod Podge this month.

It was a little challenging---the paper has a tendency to roll when Mod Podged.


We are Mod Podging paper leaves to a jar.

After the glue dried, we painted some coppery paint around the top, added a twine bow and some candles, and voile! A lovely fall centerpiece for our Sunday table.


Our next project is a turkey. I found these wooden kits (at Pick Your Plum) a couple of years ago and I think the girls are finally old enough to make them.
 
 

Our turkeys are "boring brown", according to Hailey. Don't worry. They will get fancier before they're done.

Makayla said over and over, "Painting is so fun!" I knew she felt that way because her concentration tongue is sticking out.

While the paint dried, we picked out our favorite scrapbook paper and cut it to size.

We used Mod Podge to stick the decorative paper to the wooden feather.

We carefully placed them on the wood

and smoothed out the wrinkles.

After attaching the pieces to the kit's metal sticks, we stuck them into the pumpkins left from my garden.

Tah-duh! Our masterpieces. I always enjoy how delighted these girls are with their creations.

There's a definite chill in the air this month. Time to add another layer.


Makayla stopped by early one morning to help Grandpa take care of the snow. I was so grateful for her help I took her to the dentist afterwards. (The dentist says she's cavity-free.)
 After we got home from the dentist and Makayla got back to school, Amy called to say she had been in an accident. You'd suspect slick roads, but nope. Someone ran a red light, got hit by another car and then both cars hit Amy. She hit her head and shoulder pretty hard, but after a quick check by the hospital, she's ok. Her company's van is not so ok.
 
 
I thought Amy should have a good night's sleep, knowing she's likely to be even sorer tomorrow, so Makayla and Hailey had a sleepover at Grandma's. I don't know why Amy thinks they're so hard to get to bed--it only took one book about dinosaurs, 10 Where the Sidewalk Ends poems, 3 songs, two stories about my childhood, several prayers, a few veiled threats, several unveiled threats, and they quickly fell asleep.
 
 The next morning when I peeled out of bed, they were still there.


 It only took 45 minutes to dress them in the fifteen layers of clothing they are wearing to survive at school today.

Current temperature: -3
Today's projected high: 9.
 




3 comments:

  1. I love those turkeys! I want to make one myself! And by the way, could your grandgirls come help me decorate? I love their style (with a little help from their grandma).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE those jars! I will probably be making these soon! And poor Amy, I really hope she is feeling better soon, but I'm so glad it wasn't more serious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool turkeys, very creative. Also COOL weather. Love your decorating tutorials.

    ReplyDelete