Monday, August 25, 2014

Anatomy of a Remodeled Rental: Week Three

Prepare to be underwhelmed.
This has been another week of great, but undramatic work.
 
We picked out flooring. If you squint, it looks like expensive oak, right?
 
 
It's actually vinyl. It's very inexpensive, mostly because you install the strips yourself. It's easier than tile because there's no grouting and the cutting is much easier. It's also cheaper than linoleum because we save on labor costs. We are using it in the kitchen and bathroom.
 
I realized we needed to order kitchen and bathroom counters.  We are late- it takes three weeks to order. That means we will miss our Sept 1 deadline. Rats.
 
Even choosing the least pricey Formica option is expensive.
It will have a rolled edge, cause that's what is cheapest.

 
Stan has textured all of the ceilings and spots that need texturing.

Here's the old fireplace corner.  Stan has gotten so good at texturing, I don't think anyone would guess this is not his profession.

Stan finished the tub surround. Things are now ready to be tiled. This week he will take a break from the house to reroof. The roof was totaled in June's hailstorm, and the insurance company finally got over to checkout the damage. It will soon be too cold for the roofing material to set up properly, so Stan will roof while I prime and paint this week.

In a side note, there's a large herd of bizarrely tame deer that live on this street.  Tonight I spotted these five fawns (who still have spots) with one adult female. The fifth one is to the far right, hiding in the grass. I'm not sure, but I'm guessing the female was babysitting. I hope for her sake these aren't all hers.

 

3 comments:

  1. With all you have going in your lives, I'm surprised you have time to work on the new rental. Impressive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope your final post will have side-by-side before-and-after photos. I'm ready to gasp in amazement.

    ReplyDelete