Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Grandchild Wellness Check

With all of the new babies, we've made the rounds this year. I've been West, Stan and I have been East, now clearly it is time to go South. It's been awhile since we've seen Myla and Krew. We knew it was time to go see how much we can spoil them if they're doing ok.

 Our first stop was to see Future Nurse Megan and Future CPA David. We ate a quick supper just as Megan got done with clinicals, but before David headed off to class.

Aren't they cute?
 
 
Our next stop was to see the Backman's. Krew was kind enough to let grandpa play with his toys.

Last time we saw Myla, see wasn't walking. Now she's running. I was amazed to see Myla in person-she looks so much like Jessica.


Krew and Myla showed us their favorite game--toss the toys down the stairs. I believe naughty grandpa was at the bottom, encouraging them.

Utah is full of fun and interesting things to do, like the dinosaur museum at Thanksgiving Point.


Krew is really, REALLY into dinosaurs. Myla, not so much. Krew could name many of the dinosaurs, including several I've never heard of. Myla couldn't come up with a single dinosaur name. That's ok, Myla, neither can I.

Peering into the workroom where they decide 

which drawer to put things in

so people could study them.

There were things on the ceiling

and things at eye level.

There were hiding spots, in case a dinosaur decided to eat you for lunch and you didn't like that idea.

Krew is very tall for his age, but not as tall as Mr. Brachiosaurus.

There is sand to play in

and cute little girls demonstrating

dinosaur moves.

This fun display let you place bones in the ground


 so you could unearth them

like a paleontologist.


 As we exited the museum, we found an Army jeep,

a la Jurassic Park

Utah has great restaurants. 

I would weigh 3000 lbs. in no time if I lived there.


The following day we returned to Thanksgiving Point and visited the Curiosity Museum.

There were all kinds of fun things to do and look at:

bunnies who identified out loud what you were feeding them,

magic tricks to impress your grandparents with,

legos to turn into

gigantic castles,

experiments to try,

and retry,

be amazed by,


and demonstrate to grandpa.

 


We found out Krew weighs .005 the size of a hippo, .231 the size of a jaguar, and the same as 56,055 grasshoppers.

I'm going to take their word about the grasshoppers.
I really don't want to count them to see if they're right.

We tried out the wind tunnels,

 
 and the tornado room.

There were lots of fun water toys

that we could have played with for hours.
 
Clearly, we need to up our toy selection for the grandchildren back home.

What a good little mom and kids.

Later that day we threw Grandpa's money away

then took a quick drive up to Bridal Veil Falls. Pretty pitiful water flow right now.

We saw this building that had been smashed by an avalanche.

I read a line on this sign as "Do not attempt to enter or explode". That sounded like pretty good advice until Jessica pointed out it said "explore", not explode.  FYI, I like my version better.
 
how embarrassing.....


Grandpa bought us some fish food.

The rainbow trout were so tame you could pet them, which Krew happily demonstrated.

I love this picture of Krew and Jorden heading up the falls


 and hanging out on the rocks. Krew is a lucky boy.

Like little guys everywhere,

Krew found several lovely rocks for his collection.

All too soon it was time to leave these cute grandkids,

and head home, with a quick stop to meet the Butlers' baby. He's adorable, Butlers, but I hope your next baby has better breathe.
 Final report: Backman grandkids are thriving! Just stop growing up so fast!!
 
 

3 comments:

  1. It was so good to have you and Dad for a few days. It's never long enough! Krew keeps asking me when you're coming back so we can have fun again. Apparently I'm not as fun as you two are. I'm still dying on that sign! What is so funny is for 20 minutes we all agreed with you. "Explode. Ya that's a weird thing to say!" Come back soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fun to see Thanksgiving Point. I've never been there. Time to visit the grandkids!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, Bob, come with me! I'm going later this month! Thanks for the virtual tour, Grandma Chris. Now I know what to do when I get there. By the way, Myla has cute clothes. I'm callling her Stylin' Myla.

    ReplyDelete