Friday, August 16, 2013

Fun at the Fair

Thursday was the day I chose to take the grandkids to the fair. BIG mistake. It was the hottest day of the week, 96 in the shade, but at LEAST double that standing on the blacktop in the blazing sunlight.

 
I pretty much spent the day chasing these over-excited gazelles around.



Our first stop was the bumper cars. Let me just warn you, Amy--

 
you're going to need verrrrry good car insurance in about 10 years.


Hailey told me about "this girl who fell off this roller coaster yesterday and it killed her puppy and broke her bones", then promptly climbed onto the ride and forgot to hang on.  

 
This was Hailey's favorite ride. She didn't seem impressed when I called her Ishmael. 

Hailey rode Moby Dick a dozen times (at least) and each time said as she exited the ride, "My stomach hurts!" My suggestion that she find a different ride fell on deaf ears.

 
Apparently, Hailey is one of the few people at the fair who find this ride appealing.
 
 
Happy face one

 
and happy face two.

 
Hailey and Makayla made themselves dizzy 

 
while the carnival ride man spent ten minutes telling me his entire life story. 

 
There were lots of single kids who joined Hailey and Makayla on rides,

 
which hurt Makayla's feelings when they managed to get between her and Hailey. If looks could kill....

 
Here's Makayla's favorite ride.
 
 
Noting Makayla's flushed face,

 
we paused for some rehydration. Apparently the fair isn't acquainted with the "child-size" system. I guess it makes them feel better when they charge you megabucks for too large Spite and sno cones.


 
This was pretty high on the "best ride" list for both girls.

After strapping you in,


 
it flings you up in the air and gives Grandma a nervous stomach.


 
These were MY favorite rides: the ones that won't let me on because I weigh more than 70 lbs.

 Dang. I was so close. Too much ice cream this week.


 
We rode the ponies, despite this confusing sign. First of all, the pony ride WAS free after you bought the overpriced wristband, and second, we never saw a photo to say good-bye to. 

 
Look who joined us! And he brought turkey!

 
Makayla ate my share as well as her share of turkey meat, which was ok because

between the heat and the rides, my stomach wasn't up to turkey anything. Judging from Hailey's expression, she wasn't either, although she made me ride this thing twice. In a row. Both times she said, "If I throw up, where should I do it?" I suggested the side away from me.


 
Makayla decided she wanted me to buy her three chances to win one of these lovely stuffed things by picking the right rubber duck out of the tub. When I refused to cough up twenty dollars, she fell to the ground in the middle of the fair and yelled "Oh! Now I can't love you anymore!!"
 
It's ok. She forgot she didn't love me anymore pretty quickly.

 
Face art at the Evangelism for Children booth.



 
Look how color-coordinated we are!

 
We made a quick stop at the animal petting building.


 
Another confusing fair sign.


 Time to head home-someone's foaming at the mouth.
 

3 comments:

  1. For a while there I didn't think Grandma was going to get on any rides, and then you got on the two that make me the sickest. You are an animal. And thanks for those two examples of fine writing that I can use in my classes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am impressed by all of the pink - even Grandma is wearing it. If only Trash would get with the act.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those cute girls sure do have awesome Grandparents! Looks like a fun day! I can't get over those signs! Spell-check isn't hard to use people!!

    ReplyDelete