Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Bye-bye to Budapest

Budapest was a wonderful place, made better by the experience of traveling with Julie and Alex.

I do believe Budapest contained the best statues of our journey.

From "Heroes Square"


 a monument built in 1900 to honor the leaders of the 7 tribes that founded Hungary


 as well as other heroes important to Hungarians,

to tender depictions,

to scary locals,

to statues who answer that age-old question: "What does Anonymous look like?"

One evening we attended a Hungarian musical program

with folk dancers,

and talented musicians.

It was fun to hear typical Hungarian music I grew up hearing--and playing as I learned the piano.


Hungary is full of ancient, interesting, and beautiful architecture.





 Alex! Please do not feed the creatures!



 The shopping was great,

as was the gelato. Not that gelato could be anything but great.


It was great to have Julie and Alex zip us around the city on the subway system.
One more thing I will never forget about Budapest--the subway escalators. Holy Toledo, they were the  LONGEST, STEEPEST escalators I've every seen. I swear they were a mile long, at least. I get dizzy just thinking about them again.


Finally, it was time to leave our tour guides extraordinaire and join the rest of the family.

2 comments:

  1. I love the group picture with Anonymous! He looked a bit more like the Grim Reaper than a friendly author, however. I'm glad we had those wonderful tour guides to protect us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the second picture after the folk dancers. You have a great idea for interesting details. It is always fun to get the perspective of other people on a joint trip. You and Judy see things that I am oblivious to.

    ReplyDelete