Saturday, February 25, 2012

The Party's Over...

All good things must come to an end, even my time with the cute Bassetts.  I had a fun week with these lovely children, and I miss them now that I'm home.  Did I mention that Ava spilled an entire container of pancake syrup one morning while I was taking a quick shower? Yep, Shelly, that stickiness you feel will never completely go away.

And all those extra miles on your car? You know how good my sense of direction is! I only got lost EVERY time I ventured out. Thank goodness I had Jordan to point me home---that girl is a living, breathing, GPS. I'd be 3 miles from the North Pole with a carload of kids right now if not for Jordan's directions. Kailyn, I love how you love to read. Even if I think you've drowned in the shower because you've gotten lost in a book while waiting for the water to warm up....


The boys were especially fun--I haven't had enough little boys in my life. One day when I told the kids to turn the TV off lest their brains turn to marshmallows from too much drivel, Caden brightened noticeably and said "Marshmallows?!?! Can I have a bowlful??" Chase is the sweetest of three year olds, full of smiles and hugs and one very funny bathroom accident.


 I forget how hard it is to take care of a family. Shelly left me with enough prepared, ready to cook meals for the week--good thing or we may have starved before I pulled a meal together.


Even so, mornings came way too early...


and occasionally, chaos was king. Nevertheless, the Bassett children are obedient, helpful, and (usually) so nice to each other. I just kept thinking what HAPPY children they are.
Thanks for letting me spent time with you!


 Now that I'm back home, I've had to hit the ground running. I spent time with my local munchkins,


who couldn't wait to tell me everything I missed about their lives while I was gone. (Makayla: "Look! My hair grewed when you were gone!")
 
A disgruntled Makayla because I took Hailey's picture first.


When I got home, I discovered Stan had surprised me and de-popcorned, textured, primed, and painted the upstairs ceilings----the hallway

 and the three bedrooms. Gee, Stan, maybe I should leave you home alone more often!

But it's ok-I had a surprise of my own for Stan. He painted this picture several years ago, then framed it with an inexpensive, white and shiny gold frame (wish I had thought to take a picture!). Since we are in the "Spiffy Up the House" mode, I left the picture at the framers-the result was even better than I hoped.

Now Stan's painting looks like a masterpiece, don't you think?
 Those scriptures belonged to his Grandpa Jones, and the violin was Amy's.


 I ended the week with leadership. Among other preparations, I assigned myself to make 6 simple, identical posters advertising our upcoming RS temple day, one to send home to each building in our stake.


My counselor helped set up the all important sign-in table,


and the main table. Before I left for the Bassetts, my presidency and I made a tile like the one on our table with our theme in vinyl letters  to send home with each of the ten wards/branches in the stake.
Between trips to the Emergency Room, my adventures in babysitting, ward visits, and church assignments and meetings, it's been a busy month.  I feel a looonnnnggg nap coming on......

1 comment:

  1. Any one of your many activities this month would be impressive all by itself. You've been superwoman. Those are sure cute kids--both the Bassetts and the Peltons. When did Kaylyn get glasses? She looks so old now! Stanton, you are amazing. Have you done more painting since that picture? Other than the ceilings, I mean. Of course, you could be painting on the ceiling. Think of what it did for Michelangelo's career.

    ReplyDelete