Saturday, July 1, 2017

February 2017, Part One

When we returned from our time in Fort Collins, we were welcomed back 
by some of my favorite peeps.

Whether they are rearranging the furniture,

or preparing for a party, they are always entertaining.

Despite Brinlee's unhappiness with her recent school change, she snagged the award for bravery this month at school. After all, it takes courage to walk uphill both ways in a snowstorm to go to kindergarten.

There just isn't enough noise and chaos in my life. Time for Hailey and Makayla to do a few overnighters so that Amy can pick up some hours at her second job working at the Metra.

I've enlisted by four favorite flourishing artists to paint a Valentine's sign for me.

 I assigned each of them a letter.

I told them they could paint any design in pink or red that they wanted to.

They did a lovely job, brushing on an astounding amount of paint 
that should take only a few years to dry. 

I sped up the drying process with my hairdryer and viola! A keepsake objet d'art from my grandkids.



However, I'm not feeling a lot of love here in Billings. Snow continues to pile up and up and up.

While temperatures have climbed slightly, I can't help but admire what's going on in Dallas.

Yeah, we should head to Dallas where the flowers are blooming

and the littlest Butler is growing up without me.


This cute guy is the happiest baby ever.

He's also the most vocal baby I've heard in a long time, constantly "talking". 
He is a delight to be around.

We headed to downtown Dallas on our first day.

We decided to take a look at the Dallas Museum of Art. I wasn't expecting much--how impressive could free museum be? 

As it turns out, very impressive. Even Mr. Happy was delighted to be here.

This Museum has an astonishing variety of art, like 
 the Two Walking Figures Pushing a Stroller, located to the right of  Henry Moore's Two Piece Reclining Figure, No. 3. Henry Moore was a British artist born in 1901 who sought to "emphasize the importance of space as a vital sculptural element". 
Yep. That's what I was going to say.

The museum had a large collection of modern art. Is this a giant version of the Tinman's hat?

I have no idea what this is. Some of the art had signs nearby with the name of the art and the artist. This one didn't.


 Self-Portrait Next to a Colored Window, 1964 by Jim Dine.

This appears to be the drop cloth from the above picture?

This is Dancing Duke by John Chamberlain. Hmm. 
I thought this was Winter Driving in Montana.


 This 1917 Piet Mondrian painting is entitled Windmill. Yeah, I'm surprised by that name, too.  I think this is more to my taste than the previous Dancing Duke.

Here's one that's instantly recognizable: Water Lilies by Claude Monet. This painting is one of 48 done in 1908-1909 for an exhibit in Paris. It is one of only four circular paintings ever done by Monet.

I few more that caught my eye:
Forest of Fontainebleau by Narcisse Diaz de la Pena, 1868.


 Ecce Homo by Giulio Cesare Procaccini, 1615
This painting depicts Pontius Pilate looking toward the beaten Christ, who is presented to the people of Jerusalem before the Crucifixion. Likely painted as an altarpiece for a Genoa church. 

 The Adoration of the Shepherds by Paolo de Matteis, 1680-1628. Also likely painted for a church or a chapel. This painting hung for nearly 50 years in the palace of the Torre Tagle family in Lima, Peru.


In addition to modern and traditional art, there were a lot of ancient artifacts.  I've learned that these ancient works of art are plentiful in other parts of the world, and can be viewed in museums throughout the world. The Dallas Museum had a spectacular collection of Greek, Roman, and Egyptian art.

This is Figure of a Young Man From a Funerary Relief, made in Greece in 330 BC. This grave memorial depicts the young man who died; 

These remnants are incredibly life-like. 

This is known as a "Volute Krater", a red-figure vase made in 340-330 BC. It was designed for burials of Greek nobles. The scenes on the vase represent funerary ceremonies. This side shows a dead man being presented with a wreath.  Volute refers to the round handles, and a Krater is a vase used to water down wine. The faces on the handles ward off evil.


 This Egyptian Mask was made in the late 2nd century,  It would have been placed over the face of an embalmed body. This mummy mask was made for a Roman woman in Egypt. She would have adopted the religion of Egypt, hence the Egyptian mummy mask with Roman features. 

Contrast the previous mask to this more traditionally Egyptian mask from around the same time period.


 The large collection of gold jewelry dates from 7th century BC to 2nd century AD. It's mainly from the enormous amounts of uncovered graves. Gold was plentiful enough that it was usually sent to the next world with the deceased. Most of it looks very modern.


Everyone needs a gold olive leaf wreathe crown to wear into the next life.



 This early 1st century BC bronze is Eros Lamp Holder.  The Greek god of love is shown with both male and female characteristics. The outstretched hand with the tendril would have held an oil lamp. This is a piece that would have been made for a wealthy Mediterranean home and was recovered from a shipwreck. Looks like the fishes have been nibbling his/her toes.

Syrian limestone Head of a Priest, 150-250 AD


 Roman sarcophagus from 2nd century AD. The sarcophagus depicts battle scenes, a common theme of this time period. The man buried in such a sarcophagus would have wished to identify his life and career with these scenes of military triumph. 


This amazing museum had all kinds of unique creations, like this 1771 mantel clock with figures of France and Mars atop a 1780 secretarial desk made of 7 kinds of wood as well as leather, metal and marble.

 I like this 1790 Running Bacchante by Clodian. The museum has both the male (which I never found) and this female statue. No word on why she's in such a hurry.

 Here's my favorite masterpiece.

This somehow reminded me of the ten commandments. It's actually a tomb marker, full of Chinese writing describing the 45 year old woman who died. It dates back to 1000-1200 AD. Tortoises are important in Chinese culture, symbolizing north and winter, as well as longevity.

 This wooden house door is from Indonesia, dating to 1915.  I wonder what my neighbors would think if I added this to my house?

 Nigerian shrine statue representing a hero village founder, made sometime between 1875-1890

 This and the following picture are masks from late 1800 Congo.

They were used in ceremonies, initiations, and funerals.

From 14th century Indonesia, Ganesha is a god whose father cut off his head. Later, he restored Ganesha with the head of the first thing he saw-an elephant. Yep, that seems fair. But he looks pretty happy, and he is one of the most beloved gods.

 A Tibetan Initiation Crown from the 18th or 19th century. It looks a lot like a creepy Halloween prop.

 This 19th century or earlier funerary figure is from Indonesia. Her open mouth and expression is believed to have indicated she was an aristocratic woman used to public speaking and giving orders. Or maybe she's used to bossing grand kids around.

I was enjoying these detailed Asian dancers, when I nearly had a heart attack as  

a scary figure slowly arose between them.  Geez Louise, Megan, stop that!



While we are enjoying the sights and warmth of Dallas, I find myself wondering what's going on at home.  After requesting an update, I got these pictures:

Here's Hailey, one of six artists chosen from her school for a special exhibit.  Her class's assignment was to draw a selfie. Clearly, all those years of Grandma's art school have paid off. Good job, Hailey!

I also got this update from home. Hmmm, still snowing, still cold.  I think we'd better stay in Dallas a little longer.
Maybe we should stay forever.

2 comments:

  1. I love those headdresses in the first pictures. Hey, I think I have a few of those somewhere! Thanks for the reminder. Looks like you had a fun (warm) time in (warm) Dallas. I agree about that cute little Butler masterpiece.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dallas vs. Billings in the winter - that museum could take weeks to get through.

    ReplyDelete