Tuesday, October 25, 2011

False Advertising

When I was born, my Grandma Kenison was already nearly 72 years old. By the time I was four, I was spending significant amounts of time at her home with my younger sister Judy, first while our mother finished some schooling, and then later, after our Dad died and our mother went to work. By the time my Grandma became our full-time babysitter, she would have been in her mid to late 70's. Grandma was incredibly significant in my young life. I think of her often as I watch my own grandchildren.  She had no tv, no video games, no box of toys to keep us entertained all day. Instead, Grandma taught us how to play a mean game of Chinese Checkers.



 Grandma spent a lot of time reading to us--mostly from the current issue of church magazines. I can still remember some of the stories from those magazines, and consider that experience the foundation of my testimony, as well as the basis for my love of reading.
That's me on the left at Uncle Albert's with Grandma Kenison, when I was 9 or 10.


Grandma was an incredible baker, seamstress, and crafter.  She had a sunburst-shaped clock on her wall that I loved which she made out of old cans, cut into strips, spray painted, and curled. She made us doll blankets, bean-filled toys out of felt, containers out of old greeting cards, and quilts. Judy and I often "helped" her, making pie crust cookies, poking at the bread dough, rolling wool coat strips into balls for her rugs, pushing the treadle of her old sewing machine, and threading needles for her.  As I look back, the only really helpful thing I did for her was thread needles. Grandma often gave us scraps of fabric to sew into doll cloths and even taught us how to quilt. My sister Judy and I both made this quilt block when I was six and my sister was 4:

Grandma had us use black thread to piece the block so that she and we could see our stitches.
Grandma made dozens and dozens of quilts, and I believe most of her 40+ grandchildren got at least one of her quilts. I was no exception.
It is no surprise that when I grew up, I took up quilting.

That's why I decided it would be a great idea to make each of my grandchildren a quilt as they turned eight and were baptized. Kailyn leads the pack, having turned 8 in August.



I have a favorite book from the 80's that I've made a few quilts out of in the past.


I settled on this pattern for a rail fence quilt, as the book promised it was "quick, easy, and could be completed in a day".




Even so, I thought I better give myself plenty of time and purchased fabric in May and got started.


I sewed. And sewed. And sewed and sewed and sewed. Easy? Yep. Quick? Not on your life!!!!  Not only was in not done in a day, it was not done in a week. Or a month. Or several months. Should I worry that I'm already three months behind with my first Grandchild?



It didn't help that I sewed a pink block upside down and didn't notice for several rows. I hate unpicking.



It didn't help that my regular machine-quilter person moved and I had to find another one.
 Pink and white flannel backing


 It didn't help that I needed another root canal this week.


It didn't help that I sewed on the binding until my hands cramped and my fingers bled.


Today I finished the quilt, only 5 months beyond the "easy, done in one day" false advertising
of my quilt book, only2 1/2 months past Kailyn's birthday.
Kailyn's finished twin quilt,  92 x 74 inches.

Don't worry, Jordan, I've learned my lesson. Your quilt is well underway.

7 comments:

  1. Your quilt is WAY cuter than the one pictured in the book. Well done! Thanks for sharing your memories of Grandma, one of the most saintly people I've ever known. What an impact she had on our lives!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mom! That quilt is beautiful! I wish I had your talent. Maybe one day I can learn to sew/quilt like you! I wish I had met great grandma! She sounds like an amazing woman! Sorry about your root canal! Not fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. awesome! As I understand it (in theory--not practice) putting off some of the cutting till more of the piecing is done is faster. (So first, cut the strips the right width, but four or five times too long) and then sew together all the strips, and then cut them in to four or five blocks. That way you don't have to match ends so many times and it's supposed to be faster!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yep, that's exactly what you do: sew together long strips of fabric, then cut them down into several blocks of the right size. It's definitely faster, but it can still be time consuming!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I bet (I wouldn't have unpicked the upside down pink block myself, but that just tells you about my standards!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Judy said everything I would have said, had I been the first to comment. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love it! I know Kailyn is going to love it too. She is going to be so excited. I think she will love the colors. She definitely has a thing for blankets and I have a feeling this will be her new favorite. (By the way Jordan was sad because Kailyn gets to got to Activity Days for church and she doesn't. Ken and I pointed out that she will be 8 in little over a year. Crazy! I can't believe she will be eight that soon. It really isn't that far away.)

    ReplyDelete