Thursday, July 3, 2014

Finishing Up

We finished the last of our Impressionist art. Since Monet was a lover of gardens, we headed out to smell the roses in Grandma's garden.

We checked out the peas we planted earlier this spring.


 We found lots of fat, red, strawberries.

I told the girls how we use to pick peas for my dad and shell them and give them to him for his birthday.  Makayla: "Hey! That's what I want for MY birthday!"

We picked several bowls of berries

which we sliced into our favorite new food: crepes.

A little whip cream,

and we ate till we were ready to burst,

and then we ate a few more bowls of berries plain.

Last week we learned Monet loved watercolor and painting things reflecting in water, so we painted color stripes on a wet sheet of paper,

sprinkled it with salt


giving it an interesting finish,

then painted our landscape.


We spritzed it with water and folded the sheet in half to 

create a reflection.

Makayla was enjoying watercolor so much, she painted another version of Monet's Garden Bridge without referring back to the picture we looked at last week. I love it when the girls take what we're doing and make something they're interested in.

Makayla's version on the left, Monet on the right, just in case you're having a hard time figuring out which is the original.


Makayla made this picture at school. I think she's already an artist.
 
We finished the day with a few quick games of Pick-up Sticks. Hailey won several times in a row.
 
Makayla got to practice her "losing gracefully" skills.
 
In other finished news, we completed the fourth and final remodel at our lovely apartment.
 
All new paint and floors,

all new window blinds, cabinet hinges, cabinet paint,

all new built-in shelves,

all new closets, trim and door paint, and by the end of the day, all new renters.
 
We were so happy to be finished.
 
Now we have one more little project to finish up--a remodel of our rental house.
As you can see, it just needs a little work--
After all, with gold mirrors, fake marble counters, and wood paneling in the bathroom, how big could this remodel be???
 

6 comments:

  1. The last question sounds like you're asking for trouble.
    I am so impressed by the girls' artistic skills. Beautiful paintings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "fourth and final" remodel. We'll see. You know you are making an impact when they decide they want to be artists. Heck, after reading these, I want to be an artist too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your remodel looks really good. I love all of the activities you do with the girls. Wanna do them with my kids? I think I could sacrifice them for a couple weeks... maybe if you ask nice I would even let you have them for the rest of summer :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would really, really LOVE to have your kids all summer. I miss those days when you came to live with us for a month or two while Ken was in school.

      Delete
  4. Wow Mom! You have a serious impact on the girls! All your activities make me look like a loser Mom. Your remodel looks great!! I can't wait to see it one day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A loser Mom? I don't think so! This is Grandma stuff. Moms are too busy cooking, cleaning, and catching up the laundry.

      Delete