Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Winter Wacky

The month of February has been one of the most snowy, cabin-fever inducing, cold months we've had for years in Montana. It's led to a lot of crazy decisions and frustrating trapped-in-the-house days.
 
We started off the month of February trading in our Hyundai. It's proven to be too small for transporting grandkids and was decidedly too uncomfortable for traveling. Besides, it was having drive-line problems, leaky radiator problems, and needed new brakes. It only had 79,000 miles on it--we've never, ever traded in a car this soon. It was kind of weird. If it had been June, we probably would have toughed things out for another 200,000 miles.
 
 
We replaced it with the King of Old People Crossovers: a 2008 Buick Enclave. We love it. It's comfortable, roomy, and has heated leather seats. What more could a couple of elderly people like Stan and I need?
 
We've tried to play outside in the snow

but when the high for the day is -5 and the wind makes it -20

making snow angels is

devilishly miserable.

Makayla wouldn't even make an angel. She's the smart one amongst us. It took three warm blankets and 2 cups of hot cocoa each to warm back up.
 
 
Having decided the great outdoors wasn't so great, we spent hours and hours this month playing with Legos. I used to hate Legos when my kids were little-they got scattered everywhere, the babies insisted on eating them, and I permanently damaged my feet by stepping on them.

Now I've got a dedicated Lego room, and besides, Grandmas are much more tolerant.

Lovely Lego creations: Makayla's

and Hailey's

I found this little masterpiece while straightening the family room: Hailey arranged the scene, then drew it. I couldn't help but notice she added a blazing sun. 



We put together every puzzle in the house two or three times each...
 
 
...and made some "Welcome Spring" crafts.


Because we just KNOW
 
butterflies are in our NEAR future.

Right? RIGHT?

We've spent endless house-bound hours cleaning closets, discovering treasures like this Mini Me that somehow reminds me of Makayla,

this newspaper clipping of me in the bottom right corner sporting a lovely summer mullet,

this picture of Stan enjoying the elusive Billings summer sun,
(yeah, ok, so he's also got a broken leg. He's still clearly enjoying lounging around in the sun. When this one healed, the nice doctor broke the other one so that his legs would be the same length).

and a smiling picture of happier days when we lived in warmer Utah.

The official snowfall for the month of February was 77 inches, 25 of which fell in the last week of the month.

Every morning, 4-6 inches were spoiling our previously cleared sidewalk of the night before.

Stan's getting plenty of winter exercise. 

We look forward to March. March is the month we historically get the most snow.
That's why Amy and I are leaving Grandpa with the grandkids while we embark on a girls' weekend.
 

4 comments:

  1. What? I just typed a really long comment, and it disappeared! Here we go again. I'm going for longer this time.
    That's a very fahn-cy car. You guys are getting too posh for us.
    How did you make the snow fall in your picture? Very cool.
    Hailey is a talented snow angel maker and quite an impressive artist. Wow.
    I LOVE that butterfly craft. Did you have to cut out the black part yourself?
    Yes, I can see Makayla in that cute picture of you.
    I think I remember tracing the patterns in that couch behind you with my finger. Was it our West Mountain couch?
    I love the Sterling Scholar pictures. I know/knew a lot of those people!
    How did Stan break his leg?
    You guys are really kee-yoot in yer overalls.
    A girls' weekend? I'm jealous. Where are you going?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My computer has been adding things (like falling snow or falling hearts) randomly to pictures. I have no idea how or why. The butterfly craft was something I found online, and had a link to print the butterfly, which then had to be cut out. I think that couch was from West Mountain. I remember tracing that couch, too. Stan broke his leg rope swinging over a deep gully. The one his parents told him to stay away from. Amy and I are driving to Denver to Kelsey's baby shower. Nice of Kelsey to give us a reason to get out of the snow and cold and take a break from kids!

      Delete
  2. Ditto to everything Judy said!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is the first time I've ever heard that traveling from Billings to Denver will get you out of the snow and cold (isn't that the Denver surrounded by ski resorts)? I saw a news account on the Drudge Report that Billings had the most snow its ever had, or had in 75 years, or something like that. That snow is pretty impressive. Love the old photos.

    ReplyDelete