Monday, June 24, 2013

A Funeral

Funerals have a magically way of bringing family together.

In Grandma Jones's last days, we gathered together around her hospital bed which was set up in the living room.


Grandma and Grandpa have lived in this house for a very long time-Grandpa since he was a boy.

Their house is now surrounded by medical buildings.

Grandma lived across the street where the old cancer center now sits.

After Grandma passed away, we spent lots of time together. It was wonderful.

Almost every family member was there----

Grandma Jones would have loved it. She loved having her family together.




 Ironically, we had a Stan Jones family reunion planned for the end of June, but decided it was more important to gather for the funeral.




 Stan worked hard on a beautiful floral arrangement for the casket.

I love that Stan served his mother one last time in this way.


Flower arrangement from my siblings--so beautiful!



At the funeral, each of the 39 grandchildren there (out of 42) shared a memory. It was hilarious and touching, interesting and emotional. Best part of the day by a mile.











Grandpa with his sister Grace and brother LaVar

and all the kids

Some of Stan's cousins flew into Cody, Wyoming, then rented a car. They met a deer along the way, totaling the car and ruining the deer's day.

Fortunately, the cousins were ok.

Grandpa's ward provided a lovely lunch.


Hailey is completely in love with Brinlee. Brinlee is cheerfully tolerant.



Lynn was wonderfully helpful, taking noisy grandkids out during the funeral.

What a wonderful family! Grandma must be beaming with pride.


5 comments:

  1. How wonderful that some of you could gather around her bedside. I'm sure that brought back some memories of Mom for you.

    Funerals are bittersweet, aren't they? I hope that the person being honored is able to look down and see the many lives she has touched celebrating her life. What a beautiful family! And Stan is a man of many hidden talents--that's an amazing floral arrangement!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Neat to see Stan doing the flower arrangement. Nice that most everyone was able to be there. Hope you guys are doing alright. Stan, particularly, has been in my thoughts. I think Stan needs to try his hand at painting. I'm thinking particularly of a painting of an old woman, I believe, done by his mother many years ago. I loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You got a lot of good pictures. I may need to steal some! I like that one of dad and I.

    I miss everyone already! I need another visit :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've got a dvd with all of the funeral pictures for you--if you come visit, I'll give it to you!

      Delete
    2. Ok! I really would love to come visit, for much longer this time!

      Delete