Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Europe: From Prague to Rexburg

For many years, Mom tried to talk her five children and their spouses into going on a trip together somewhere. It just never worked out--too many busy schedules full of children, jobs, and life. I feel sad, knowing how much Mom would have loved to be with us, her children, as we enjoyed each other's company. Mom was big on family unity. I think that is one of her many great legacies.

When Mom died in 2009, we decided to set aside a portion of our inheritance for that trip. After 2 years of discussion, David came across this river cruise down the Rhine. Perfect! Unlike my siblings, I had never been to Europe and I could hardly wait for the cruise to begin. I must say, not only did the trip meet my anxious anticipation, it far surpassed it.
 I only wish Mom had been there to enjoy it with us. 
 Our river cruise--except we started in Basel and ended in Amsterdam


Sorting through the thousands of pictures I took has been overwhelming. I took careful notes; even so, many of the places we visited are have already blurred together. There were so many breathtaking churches, fabulous foods, tasty gelatos, charming cities, and stunning vistas. I'm pretty sure I'm going to get some things wrong. I reserve the right to change information, tell the story from my angle, and label pictures in a very general way.

That one cathedral in that one town.

Before I launch into Europe, I should mention Rexburg. When I got home on Sunday, I spent a few days trying to catch up, relearning to sleep nights instead of days (I now know how a newborn feels), and getting on top of laundry, phone messages, mail, and general life. On Friday Megan and I traveled to Rexburg so that Megan could go see Bill Cosby life with her significant other.
 Bill Cosby, not Megan's significant other. Bill had four sellout shows at BYU-I.


Meanwhile, I enjoyed time with cute little Brinlee, Ashley, and McKay, and Rexburg's delicious assortment of frozen yogurt, custard and gelati (not a misspelling-don't ask). So much for weaning myself off of frozen treats. The Backmans were in Utah, watching Jorden participate in a bike marathon. It's ok. I ate their share of ice cream for them.

This cute, tiny girl is taking her first steps. She's already pretty steady on her feet. She has the world's most expressive face.


Brinlee is sweet and so happy, no doubt because of her excellent mom and dad.

Since Brinlee turns 1 year old on the 22nd, I brought her this beautifully wrapped early birthday present.


Oooo...just what she wanted!


I think she likes it!

Up first: European Travels: Beautiful Prague

No comments:

Post a Comment